December 23, 2013
(1) The Flood-Marr was no cakewalk for the Knights. All the games were tight affairs. They had to sweat and persevere, which is exactly what they did.
(6) Plowed through the field at the Avon Xmas Classic, outscoring opponents 19-4. Team is older and wiser than the squad that bowed to Salisbury in the prep finals last season.
(3) A 4-2 loss to Dexter three weeks ago was the last time the Penguins lost. There is depth on this team -- six players have 10 or more points -- and the D and goaltending have been excellent, having allowed a shade over two goals per game.
(4) They've beaten Dexter and Kent; lost to Gunnery and Cushing. So we know they are competitive with the iron -- and they crush weak teams.
(2) Ryan Donato, averaging 3 ppg, came through big time, scoring Dexter's final two goals in an 8-7 OT win over Lawrence. However, a top team shouldn't need eight goals to get a W.
(5) Leading scorer AJ Greer, who has decommitted from Penn State, was injured in the first game at the Flood-Marr and missed the rest of the tournament. The Wildcats hung in there, though. Bird and Dudek picked up the slack -- and then some.
(9) They're undefeated but the game that really showed their mettle was Friday night's 2-1 OT loss to St. Andrew's College, a tough, physical, demanding game played at a very high tempo -- and with few whistles -- from start to finish. McGovern was terrific in net.
|8||Noble & Greenough||5-2-1||
(8) After giving up 12 goals over two games, they got it together at the Flood-Marr, allowing 2.5 goals per game, reaching the finals, and going toe-to-toe with Salisbury.
(7) The Bears lost two games last December before going on a major roll. This year's team, a year older, has lost two games in December too. Is another hot streak in the cards?
(NR) St. Paul's moves into the #10 spot, though a very good argument could be made for Trinity-Pawling, Millbrook, Brooks, Loomis -- and perhaps a couple of other teams too.
* Note: Only games between NEPSIHA Div. I schools -- the principal factor in determining seedings for the playoffs -- are included in the won-lost records above.