February 17, 2014
(1) Beat Hotchkiss 6-1 and Canterbury 8-2 last week. Only three times in 21 games have the Lions allowed three or more goals. That's impressive at any level. They embody the team concept and have experience at all positions, size, and depth. Big week ahead though, with potential pitfalls: at #8 Berkshire (Mon.), @ Deerfield (Wed.), and home vs. #7 Choate (Sat.)
(2) Beat Taft (in OT), K-O, and Avon last week. Have now won nine straight. A deep, well-constructed, well-coached team that has only allowed three goals four times this season -- and more than three just once (in a 6-2 loss @ Kent). This week: @ Hotchkiss (Wed.), vs. Deerfield (Fri.), and @ Caterbury (Sat.)
(4) Played just once last week, a 3-2 win over Tabor. Are 4-3 vs. Teams Under Consideration (TUC refers to teams in the top 16 in RPI). This week, the Tigers host Milton (Wed.) and then go on the road Fri./Sat. to Rivers and St. Seb's. They also need to make up Saturday's snowed-out Keller Div. game against St. Paul's.
(3) Went 2-1 last week, with the loss a 7-3 decision at the hands of NMH. Have six players over 20 points and three over 50. Are 5-4-1 vs. TUC. Close out regular season with games vs. Pomfret (Wed.) and @ Andover (Sat.)
(5) Are 12-1 in their last 13, the only loss in that span being an OT decision at #2 Salisbury. However, they are 3-3-0 vs. TUC, which means every game is crucial. Haven't played much lately -- just three games in last three plus weeks -- but they will have no rest this week: @ Canterbury (Mon.), @ Westy (Wed.), and home vs. #8 Berkshire (Sat.)
|6||Noble & Greenough||18-6-1||
(7) Beat St. Seb's and BB&N last week, then got crunched 9-4 by Bel Hill. An unpredictable team. When they are bad they are awful, but most of the time they are actually quite good, with a ton of firepower. Have won five of last six, and are a solid 5-3-1 vs. TUC, hence are well positioned for Elite 8. Face Gov's at home Wed., and are at Milton Sat.
(NR) Beat Avon, Taft, and NMH this past week. The Wild Boars are the Silky Sullivan of prep hockey, coming from the middle of the pack with eight straight wins. Are a healthy 3-2-3 vs. TUC. Last season, Choate collapsed at the end with four straight losses -- and this year's upperclassmen surely remember. They finish the regular season vs. Loomis (Wed.) and @ #1 Kent (Sat.)
(6) Went 2-2 last week, topping Millbrook and Pomfret but suffering a tough 5-1 loss @ Westminster on Saturday. Are 3-4-1 vs. TUC. Have a tough schedule to finish the regular season, hosting #1 Kent (Mon.), Millbrook (Wed.), and @ #5 Gunnery (Sat.)
(NR) Are unbeaten in last six (5-0-1), which includes a big 4-3 OT win at Cushing on Saturday. Are a respectable 3-3-2 vs. TUC but need help from outside forces as their only remaining games will come at the Lakes Region Tournament Fri. and Sat. Joey Dudek is back in the lineup, which helps enormously.
|10||Northfield Mt. Hermon||16-8-1||
(10) Beat Exeter 7-3 on Wed., and Loomis on Sat., but came up short vs. Choate on Sunday, which hurt their chances for an Elite 8 berth. Are 6-6-0 vs. TUC. Host Andover (Wed.) and travel to Tabor (Sat.).
* Note: Only games between NEPSIHA Div. I schools -- the principal factor in determining seedings for the playoffs -- are included in the won-lost records above.