February 18, 2013
(3) The Wildcats fight their way back to #1 after getting by Merrick Madsen and Proctor, 2-1, and then blowing out Cushing, 8-3. This week KUA will be looking to win the Lakes Region tourney for the second year in a row.
|2||Frederick Gunn School||19-2-4||
(4) Gunnery beat Berkshire, 4-1, in the only meeting of the two teams, back on Dec. 5th. The rematch is Saturday @ Berkshire. But Gunnery can't look that far ahead as, on Moday, they host Canterbury (who beat Kent on Sat.) and two days later they host Westy (who halted Berkshire's 20-game unbeaten streak Sat.). Holding this lofty ranking will be a major challenge, but Gunnery has a chance: they've gone 10-1-1 since the New Year, with the only blemish a 2-1 loss to Kent on Jan. 21.
(1) The Bears saw their 20-game unbeaten streak come to an end Saturday with their first loss in over two months (see above). They now face Albany Academy and Millbrook in advance of a huge end-of-season rematch vs. Gunnery, one of just 3 teams to have beaten them this season.
(2) After losing to Milton for the second time this season, Belmont Hill bounced back with wins over Thayer and Nobles. The Hillies have won 12 of their last 13 games and will look to make it 14 of 15 vs. St. Paul's and Tabor.
(5) One could argue that they are worthy of the #5 slot, but once strength of schedule is factored in, are they any better than any of the 5 teams below them? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, losing just one of 24 games is a praiseworthy achievement. Dexter is home vs. Tabor, Holderness, and St. Paul's this week -- and can't afford a slipup if they hope to make the Elite 8.
(6) Have allowed one goal or less in over half their games this season (13 out of 23). Sophomore Callum Booth has stopped 96 of the last 101 shots he's faced.
(8) With a 5-1 record over their last 6 games, the Wild Boars appear to be peaking at the right time. Keeping it up will be very tough, however. Their final week: @ Westminster, @ Loomis, and then home vs. Kent. Pretty daunting. Choate won't be backing into anything if they can land a slot in the Elite 8.
(NR) After finishing January 0-4-1, the Martlets have turned it around, going 4-0 to start February, including handing Berkshire their first loss in 20 games on Saturday. Westy has 3 games this week -- after facing Top 10 teams Choate and Gunnery they finish up with Deerfield. That's a tough row to hoe.
(7) After a 7-game unbeaten streak, the Lions have been up and down since, going 2-3 over their last 5 games. A defense-first team, they've gone 11-1-1 when scoring three or more goals in a game this season. Are home vs. T-P and Deerfield, then finish regular season at Choate on Saturday. Nothing is coming easy for the Lions this season.
(9) After going 4-5 over the last nine games, the Penguins will look to end the season on a high note. Face New Hampton on the road Wednesday before coming home to finish up with Berwick on Saturday.
* Note: Only games between NEPSIHA Div. I schools -- the principal factor in determining seedings for the playoffs -- are included in the won-lost records above.